Saturday, March 5, 2016

A celebration of colors



Most female foreigners staying in Bangladesh for a longer period of time buy a saree sooner or later. 
In my case later. 
I would probably have postponed the purchase even longer if my dear friends hadn't invited me to a tour to Narsingdi on Friday. 


Narsingdi is good hour's drive from Dhaka and the place is one of the largest textile markets in Bangladesh.


The whole are is dominated by textile industries. Textile mills, dying and embroidery houses are situated close to Narsingdi. The road sides are decorated with freshly dyed textiles in clothes lines.


The bazaar like market is a visual symphony of silk, cotton and glitter. 



The narrow paths between the thousands of small stores were packed with people carrying piles of textiles in all possible colors, towels, blankets, bedding. 


It was hot, dusty and absolutely fabulous.


The market is for whole sales but the store owners wholeheartedly helped retail customers too. 
Like always, we as Western women were a big attraction and were followed by a crowd of "assistants" giving advice on styles and bargaining.


The huge selection was the problem. How could I find my piece of saree in this place which has textiles to cover the distance to Moon and back, three times?


But miracles happen. In one of the stores, a perfect piece of eight meters of green silk was winking to me, calling my name. 
Love at first sight. 
Now I am just waiting for an invitation from the President, Prime Minister og anybody in order to wear my gorgeous outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment